2018 has been designated the Year of Young People and we at Scotland’s Enterprising Schools are very excited about the upcoming programme of events and activities. There’s going to be a lot going on so we have provided a breakdown of what the Year of Young People is and how you can get involved.
What is the Year of Young People?
YOYP was created as part of the Scottish Governments programme of themed years and will centre around activities and events focused on 6 key themes.
- Culture: Sharing and celebrating the talent of Scottish young people and their contribution to culture and the arts.
- Education: Giving young people the opportunity to have more say in their own education.
- Enterprise & Regeneration: Celebrating the role that young people play in innovation, entrepreneurship and the Scottish economy as well making Scotland a greener, pleasanter place to live.
- Equality & Discrimination: Encouraging young people to take the lead in challenging all forms of prejudice and discrimination and recognising the positive impact of young people in Scotland.
- Health & Wellbeing: Making sure young people have the chance to lead healthy, active lives and understand the importance of mental health and resilience.
- Participation: Giving young people the chance to influence decisions that affect their lives.
How can you get involved in the Year of Young People?
Support the YOYP 2018 Ambassadors
YOYP 2018 Ambassadors will be involved in making sure that young people and organisations in local communities know about YoYP 2018 activities. They will also work to lead the activities and projects with local authorities and other partners.
Although applications to become an Ambassador have now closed, over 500 young people from across Scotland have applied and the Ambassadors for each local authority will be announced at the end of this month. So, watch this space for their announcement and to see how you can get involved to help them.
Youth Community Action Fund
Groups can now apply for funding of £2,000 from YouthLink Scotland to run informal learning activity for young people. Applications are open to groups from local authorities, community learning services and voluntary youth work services. To be successful, your planned activity must achieve the following:
- Engage young people aged 8 – 26 years
- Be co-designed with young people from start to end
- Promote equality and be accessible to all young people
- Demonstrate sustainability (whether in attracting other resources or in leaving a legacy)
Find out more about the fund here.
We’re really looking forward to getting involved in YOYP 2018 and can’t wait to see the creative and inspirational ideas and activities to come!